As of Sep 30, 2017, the company operated 1,827 stores in 49 states, including 162 Petsense stores and 11 stores under the "Del’s Feed & Farm Supply" name in Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Hawaii.

In fiscal 2016, the company opened 113 and closed 6 Tractor Supply stores. Additionally, in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2016, the company acquired 136 Petsense stores and opened a further 7 stores. During the first nine months of fiscal 2017, the company 70 net new Tractor Supply stores and 19 Petsense stores. The company expects to open approximately 100 new Tractor Supply stores and 25-30 new Petsense stores in fiscal 2016. Thereafter, the company estimates long-term domestic growth potential for an additional 900 new Tractor Supply stores and up to 1,000 Petsense stores.

Tractor Supply leases approximately 94% of store sites and owns the remaining 6%. Approximately 54% of stores are in freestanding buildings and 46% are located in strip shopping centers. Tractor Supply stores typically range in size from 15,000 to 20,000 square feet of inside selling space along with additional outside selling space. A standard 15,500 square foot prototype is used for most new built-to-suit locations. In some smaller markets the company utilizes a 12,500 square foot format with slightly less inventory and lower occupancy costs than the prototype but a similar product assortment. Stores are primarily located in towns outlying major metropolitan markets and in rural communities.

TTM20162015201420132012
Stores1,8271,7381,4881,3821,2761,176
Store growth16.0%16.8%7.7%8.3%8.5%8.4%
Total gross square feet (M)35,32133,76930,69022,17620,47018,893
Total gross square feet growth8.4%10.0%7.9%8.3%8.3%7.9%
Avg store gross sq ft16,00019,40020,60016,00016,00016,100
Avg store gross sq ft growth-6.5%-5.8%0.3%0.0%-0.1%-0.4%

Notes:Calculated based on inside store square footage, and excludes outside selling space